Geography Questions and Answers
- Name the world's largest island?
(Ans: Greenland - the next in order are New Guinea, Borneo, Madagascar, Baffin, Sumatra, Honshu and Great Britain)
- How many stripes are there on the American flag?
(Ans: 13 stripes - representing the 13 British colonies that declared independence from the UK in 1776)
- Name the highest waterfall in the world?
(Ans: Angel Falls in Venezuela)
- What does the word sahara mean?
(Ans: Desert - yes, so Sahara Desert actually translates to Desert Desert)
- What aboriginal name was given to large sandstone rock formation in Northern Territory, Australia, previously known as Ayers Rock?
- Name the only two landlocked countries in South America?
(Ans: Paraguay and Bolivia)
- Which motorway in the UK is the longest?
(Ans: M6 - starts at M1 near Rugby and terminates at the A74(M) at Gretna)
- How many European capital cities does the Danube flow through?
(Ans: Vienna (Austria), Bratislava (Slovakia), Budapest (Hungary) and Belgrade (Serbia))
- Which country is the largest in Africa
(Ans: Algeria - the next in order are the Democratic Republic of the Congo and then Sudan)
- Which country is the largest landlocked country in the world?
(Ans: Kazakhstan - Mongolia was formerly the largest before the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1991)
- Which river flows through the Grand Canyon?
(Ans: Colorado River)
- Name the second highest mountain in the world?
(Ans: K2 or Godwin Austen)
- What number parallel north forms the border between North and South Korea?
(Ans: 38th parallel)
- What animal is the Canary Islands named after?
(Ans: Dogs - comes from the latin word for dog, 'canaria')
- Name the most populated country in africa?
(Ans: Nigeria - followed by Ethiopia, then Egypt)
- Name the largest lake in the world? And name the largest lake in the UK?
(Ans: Caspian Sea. Loch Neagh is the largest in the UK. (note: Loch Lomond is the largest in Scotland))
- Name the capital city of Canada?
- Name the biggest desert in the world?
(Ans: Antarctica - the Sahara is the largest 'hot' desert. Antarctica is classified as a desert because so little moisture falls from the sky; it gets less rain than the Sahara)
- What are the three main types, or classes, of rock?
(Ans: Sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous)
Related quizzes coming soon...
Thank you for printing these 2017 quiz questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.