Questions and Answers - Download and Print
What are Christmas Firsts?
The quiz asks questions about the first Christmas cards, the first Christmas number one, and the first Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree.
- Which country first started the Christmas tree tradition?
- Which year saw the first televised Christmas address by Queen Elizabeth II?
- What were first made around 1845-1850 by Tom Smith in Victorian London?
- Which American president sent out the first president’s Christmas cards in 1933?
- The first commercial Christmas cards were commissioned by civil servant Sir Henry Cole in London in which decade?
- Which president created controversy with the White House’s first politically correct Christmas card with the word "Christmas" not on the front of the card?
- Who sung the ballad Here In My Heart which topped the charts in 1952 and became not only the first Christmas number one, but also the first ever UK number one?
- The first King's Christmas Broadcast was delivered by George V in 1932 but who wrote this speech?
- The first Trafalgar Square Christmas Tree in 1947 was a thank you from King Haakon VII who was forced to flee which country and seek sanctuary in Britain during World War Two??
- The red and white costume of Father Christmas was allegedly first introduced by which company?
- The Beatles had three consecutive Christmas number ones from 1963 to 1965, which song was their first?
- What was controversial about the images on the first ever commercially produced Christmas cards by Henry Cole?
- What first appeared in a 1939 booklet written by Robert May?
- Which song was the first ever novelty song to become a Christmas UK number one?
- Which country was the first to adopt Christianity as its official religion?
- The first use of which items on early christmas trees is recorded by a Silesian duchess in 1611? (Note: Silesia is a historical region located mostly in Poland, with small parts in the Czech Republic and Germany)
- Which song was the first ever broadcast from space, in a Christmas-themed prank by Gemini 6 astronauts in December 1965?
- "Christmas Crackers" is the first Christmas special episode of which TV programme?
- Christmas cracker
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- 1840s (1843)
- President Barack Obama
- Al Martino
- Rudyard Kipling
- I Want To Hold Your Hand
- It featured children drinking wine
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Lily The Pink (by The Scaffold)
- Jingle Bells
- Only Fools and Horses (first screened on 28 December 1981)