Welcome to our Dinosaur Quiz Questions Page
Dinosaurs first appeared as small reptiles about 230 million years ago in the Middle Triassic. They dominated life on land at the end of the Triassic and would do so for another 140 million years (until the close of the Mesozoic). In contrast, man (homo sapiens) first evolved on earth about 0.2 million years ago.
Dinosaur Quiz Questions I
- The word dinosaur was first coined in 1842 by paleontologist Sir Richard Owen, from the Greek word 'deinos' and 'sauros'; what is the English translation of 'dinosaur'?
- Which large canivore is thought to have the largest bite force of all the dinosaurs?
- True or false. Sauropods were known for their large size?
- In films and popular culture which dinosaur is well known for having a large bony frill with three horns?
- Which relatively small, bird-like dinosaurs get their name from the Greek words for 'wounded tooth'?
- Which flying reptiles were the first vertebrates to fly?
- Which dinosaur with the name meaning 'roof lizard' is known for the rows of bony plates that rise from its back?
- True or false. Ninety percent of dinosaur species laid eggs?
- With a name meaning 'great lizard, which dinosaur was the first to be formally named?
- True or false. Dinosaurs are not the largest animals to have ever existed?
- In 1860, Charles Darwin thought the Archaeopteryx was the missing link between dinosaurs and which other creatures?
- True or false. Most plant eating dinosaurs walked on all fours while most meat eaters walked on two feet?
- Terrible lizard (or reptile)
- Tyrannosaurus rex
- False. It's 100%.
- True. That record goes to the blue whale.
Dinosaur Quiz Questions II
- What is Argentinosaurus remarkable for?
- The name of which dinosaur means 'thunder lizard'?
- Name the only dinosaur to be commonly known in popular culture by its full scientific name?
- Dinosaurs first appeared in which geological period?
- What was the estimated weight of an Eoraptor: (a)10 kilograms, (b)1 tonne, or (c)10 tonnes?
- True or false. The dinosaurs died out about 65 million years ago?
- A meteorite crater near the coast of which modern day country is thought to have led to the dinosaurs' mass extinction?
- Which dinosaurs name means 'roof lizard'?
- What name do we give to the study of fossils?
- During the Triassic period what was Pangaea?
- Who wrote about prehistoric animals in the 1912 adventure novel The Lost World?
- Which dinosaur was for many years the longest known, and has a name meaning 'double beam' with reference to its double-beamed chevron bones located in the underside of its tail?
- Its weight and size (probably the heaviest dinosaur)
- Tyrannosaurus rex
- 10 kilograms
- A giant landmass or supercontinent
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Thank you for printing our dinosaur quiz. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.