Welcome to our Edinburgh Quizzes Page
Edinburgh Quiz Questions and Answers
- What name is given to the succession of streets forming the main thoroughfare of the Old Town?
- Which famous nickname for Edinburgh which references the smoke emitted by the coal and wood burnt in the city’s buildings?
- Name the detective detective in the novels set in and around Edinburgh by the Scottish author Ian Rankin?
- Located within Charlotte Square, can you name the official residence of the First Minister of Scotland?
- Which Scottish region is Edinburugh in?
- What was the name of the oldest independent department store in Scotland, until acquisitioned in 2005 by House of Fraser?
- The opening scene of the film Trainspotting shows store detectives chasing the main character Renton along which Edinburgh street?
- Which monument in Princes Street Gardens is the world's largest monument to a writer?
- Which two Edinburgh football clubs compete in the Edinburgh derby (one of the oldest derby matches in world football)?
- A bronze statue of Wojtek stands in the city's Princes Street Gardens; what animal is Wojtek?
- Located at the bottom of the Royal Mile, name the official residence of the Queen in Scotland?
- What is the the Gaelic form of Edinburgh's name?
- The Royal Mile
- Auld Reekie
- Inspector Rebus
- Bute House
- Jenneres Department Store
- Princes Street
- The Scott Monument
- Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian (commonly known as 'Hearts' and 'Hibs')
- A bear (a Syrian brown bear)
- Holyrood Palace
Edinburgh Quiz II
- Which nickname was given to Edinburgh due to both its intellectual influence in the period of the Scottish Enlightenment and its amazing architecture?
- What is the name given to the famous 15th-century siege gun located at Edinburgh Castle?
- Name the volcanic plug in the middle of Edinburgh upon which Edinburgh Castle sits?
- Which university is named after the Edinburgh born mathematician that popularized the decimal point?
- Also known as the High Kirk of Edinburgh, name the principal place of worship of the Church of Scotland?
- Which historic market place, lying in a hollow, is located directly below Edinburgh Castle?
- Name the world's largest arts festival which takes place annually in Scotland's capital every August?
- Who was born on 13 November 1850, at 8 Howard Place, Edinburgh, Scotland?
- Name the principal railway station in Edinburgh?
- The National Monument of Scotland dominates the top of which hill? And this monument is a memorial to Scottish sacrifice in which wars?
- The highest point in Edinburgh, Arthur's Seat, is at the centre of which park?
- What was first published as three volumes in the Scottish capital between 1768 and 1771?
- Which medieval castle, situated 3 miles south-east of the city centre, is best known for its association with Mary, Queen of Scots?
- What is the name of the main river flowing through Edinburgh?
- Which artificial hill, connecting Edinburgh's New Town and Old Town, is the address of the Scottish National Gallery?
- The Athens of the North
- Mons Meg
- Castle Rock
- Edinburgh Napier University (named after John Napier, best known as the inventor of logarithms)
- St Giles' Cathedral
- The Grassmarket
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe, or The Fringe
- Robert Louis Stevenson (novelist)
- Edinburgh Waverley or Waverley
- Calton Hill. The Napoleonic Wars.
- Holyrood Park
- Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Craigmillar Castle
- Water of Leith
- The Mound
More Edinburgh related trivia...
> Quiz Questions about Scotland
> Scottish Trivia
Thank you for printing these questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.