Ten questions on engineering. Questions that nearly made the quiz include 'who is the inventor of a product which works on the principle of cyclonic separation', and 'who is founder and Chief Engineer at SpaceX'. The answers, James Dyson and Elon Musk, respectively.
- Ferdinand de Lesseps is best known for the development of which massive engineering project, completed in 1869?
- What common term is used for a system of pulleys and a rope threaded between them, used to pull or lift heavy loads?
- Elisha Graves Otis was the inventor of a safety device for what?
- George Stephenson's first passenger locomotive, called 'Locomotion', travelled 25 miles between Stockton and which town?
- Which British inventor and engineer, with both a deaf mother and wife, sought to integrate the deaf and hard of hearing with the hearing world?
- Who discovered that there is a direct proportionality between the voltage applied across a conductor and the resultant electric current?
- Built between 1931 and 1935, which Art Deco-detailed project was the most expensive engineering project in America at that time?
- Which Serbian born engineer made dozens of breakthroughs in the production, application and transmission of electric power and invented the first AC motor?
- There are two plaques outside the Midland Hotel, Manchester, bearing the date Wednesday 4 May 1904, commemorating the first ever meeting between which two gentlemen?
- Which American magazine sometimes known as PM, is a magazine of science, engineering and technology, founded in 1902 by Henry Haven Windsor?
- Suez Canal
- Block and tackle
- Elevators or lifts (the device prevents lifts from falling if the hoisting cable fails)
- Alexander Graham Bell
- Georg Ohm
- Hoover Dam
- Nikola Tesla
- Rolls and Royce (Frederick Henry Royce first met Charles Stewart Rolls)
- Popular Mechanics