Extinct Animals Quiz
- The dodo is an extinct flightless bird which lived on which island in the Indian Ocean?
- About how many millions of years ago did dinosaurs become extinct?
- Megalodon is an extinct species of what type of animal?
- The last known population of the woolly mammoth remained on Wrangel Island in the Arctic Ocean until about how many years ago: (A)4,000 years ago, (b)40,000 years ago, or (c)400,000 years ago?
- The thylacine was one of the largest known carnivorous marsupials with the last known one captured in 1933 in Tasmania, Australia. By what other name is it commonly known?
- This North American bird once numbered billions with flocks so large they would blacken the overhead sky. Now extinct, when Martha the last survivor died in captivity at the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914. Can you name these nomadic birds?
- Mastodons, that inhabited North and Central America, became extinct about 10,000 years ago, do you know what animal they are distantly related to?
- Pinguinus impennis is the scientific name of which flightless seabird that's been extinct since 1844? They bred in colonies on the rocky islands off North Atlantic coasts.
- The Moa was a now-extinct flightless bird found in which country?
- True or false. The brown bear went extinct in the UK just over 10,000 years ago?
- The Bali, the Javan, and the Caspian have all died out during the 20th century; they are the three subspecies of which animal?
- What sort of animal was the Quagga? It was hunted to extinction by Boer settlers, who prized this animal for its meat and pelt, with the last known Quagga dying in an Amsterdam zoo in 1883.
- It owes much of its fame to its appearance in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Which flightless bird was first spotted by Dutch sailors in 1598 and last spotted in 1662?
- They are generally thought to have become extinct in England during the reign of Henry VII, King John gave a premium of 10 shillings for the capture of two, and King Edward I ordered the total extermination of them. Name the animal?
- Which animal was discovered in 1741 by Georg Wilhelm Steller, and named after him, but within 27 years the easily caught and slow-moving mammal was hunted into extinction for its fat, meat and hide?
- 65 million years ago (it's a well quoted figure)
- (a)4,000 years ago
- Tasmanian tiger
- Passenger pigeon
- Great Auk
- New Zealand
- False. It was just 1,000 years ago.
- Tiger (five subspecies of tigers still survive today, but all are threatened with extinction.)
- Dodo (only found in Mauritius. And so well known we asked two questions on it.)
- Steller's sea cow
There are more animal quiz questions coming soon.
Thank you for printing these questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and trivia.