Welcome to our History Quiz
- Name the last pitched battle fought on British soil?And can you name the year?
- A Victoria Cross is struck from the gun metal of Russian cannons captured at which battle?
- In 1804, which country became the only nation in the world established as a result of a successful slave revolt?
- In which year did George V become king and Halley's Comet return?
- Which native American was war leader of the Oglala Lakota and led a war party to victory at the Battle of the Little Bighorn?
- Around 400 'Glorious Glosters' fought a last stand on Hill 235 in which war?
- The youngest son of George II, best remembered for his role in putting down the Jacobite Rising at the Battle of Culloden, was given what nickname?
- Under the feudal system, what were people who worked the land called?
- Which twentieth century British king was always known to his family and close friends as David?
- Name the last British king born outside the UK?
- Who was the first monarch to live in Buckingham Palace?
- The Gunpowder Plot was a failed assassination attempt on which king? And what was the year?
- Culloden, 1746
- Crazy Horse
- Butcher Cumberland
- Edward VIII
- George II
- Queen Victoria
- James I, 1605
- Whose parents were Philip II of Macedon and Olympias?
- In 1867, who became special correspondent for the New York Herald?
- The Battle of Salamanca in 1812 was thought in which war?
- Name the most famous doctor in the Roman Empire whose theories dominated European medicine for 1,500 years?
- Lord Frederick Cavendish and Thomas Henry Burke were fatally stabbed on 6 May 1882; can you name the exact location of the murders?
- Which king's soldiers murdered Thomas Becket in 1162?
- Can you enlighten us with the operational name for the World War Two invasion of French North Africa in 1942?
- Who led The Charge of the Light Brigade?
- Which young king rode out to meet the leaders of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
- How many Victoria Crosses were awarded at Rorke's Drift? And in which 19th century decade were they won?
- Alexander the Great (born in Pella in 356 BC)
- Henry Stanley
- Peninsular War
- Claudius Galen
- Phoenix Park, Dublin
- Henry II
- Operation Torch
- Lord Cardigan
- Richard II
- 11 Victoria Crosses, 1870s (1879)
- In which year did the world's population reaches 1 billion: (a) 1604, (b) 1704, (c) 1804, or (d) 1904?
- What was the name of the purchase that saw the USA more than double in size when it bought out France's territorial claims in North America?
- Scottish History: 'The Stone of Destiny' is made of what type of rock?
- On precisely which date did the Victorians celebrate the start of the Twentieth Century?
- In which century was the Black Death?
- What was the official language of England for about 300 years, from 1066 to 1362?
- In World War Two by what name was Iva Toguri better known?
- Which queen was the last Stuart monarch?
- Which Roman Emperor married his sister and made his horse a senator?
- Who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe?
- Which battle famously saw the US flag raised on Mount Suribachi?
- Shakespeare wrote plays in which three broad categories?
- (c) 1804
- Louisiana Purchase
- (Red) Sandstone
- 1st January, 1901
- Tokyo Rose
- Queen Anne
- Sir Francis Drake
- Iwo Jima
- Comedies, Tragedies and Histories
More history coming to these pages soon!
Thank you for printing these questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.