Welcome to our History Quiz Questions Page
History Quiz Questions I
- Which queen of the Iceni tribe led an uprising against the Romans in AD 60 or 61?
- Isabella of France was the wife of which king? (Hint: Isabella played a principal part in the deposing of this king in 1327.)
- Which battle was the last pitched battle fought on British soil? And can you name the year it happened?
- A Victoria Cross is struck from the gun metal of Russian cannons captured at which battle?
- In 1804, which country became the only nation in the world established as a result of a successful slave revolt?
- In which year did George V become king and Halley's Comet return?
- Which native American was war leader of the Oglala Lakota and led a war party to victory at the Battle of the Little Bighorn?
- Around 400 'Glorious Glosters' fought a last stand on Hill 235 in which war?
- The youngest son of George II, best remembered for his role in putting down the Jacobite Rising at the Battle of Culloden, was given what nickname?
- Under the feudal system, what were people who worked the land called?
- Which twentieth century British king was always known to his family and close friends as David?
- Name the last British king born outside the UK?
- Who was the first monarch to live in Buckingham Palace?
- The Gunpowder Plot was a failed assassination attempt on which king? And what was the year?
- Which Proto-Protestant Christian religious movement, initially led by John Wycliffe, existed from the mid-14th century until the 16th-century English Reformation?
- The Battle of Wireless Ridge and the Battle of Mount Tumbledown were engagements in which war?
- Edward II
- Culloden, 1746
- Crazy Horse
- Butcher Cumberland
- Edward VIII
- George II
- Queen Victoria
- James I, 1605
- Falklands War
- In which London East End street did a 1911 gunfight happen between a combined police and army force and two Latvian revolutionaries?
- Which American Patriot is best known for his midnight ride to alert the colonial militia in April 1775?
- Whose parents were Philip II of Macedon and Olympias?
- In 1867, who became special correspondent for the New York Herald?
- The Battle of Salamanca in 1812 was thought in which war?
- Name the most famous doctor in the Roman Empire whose theories dominated European medicine for 1,500 years?
- Lord Frederick Cavendish and Thomas Henry Burke were fatally stabbed on 6 May 1882; can you name the exact location of the murders?
- Which king's soldiers murdered Thomas Becket in 1162?
- Can you enlighten us with the operational name for the World War Two invasion of French North Africa in 1942?
- Who led The Charge of the Light Brigade?
- Which young king rode out to meet the leaders of the Peasants' Revolt in 1381?
- How many Victoria Crosses were awarded at Rorke's Drift? And in which 19th century decade were they won?
- In which country is Mount Tambora - an active volcano whose 1815 eruption was the largest in recorded human history?
- The Battle of Towton was fought during which war?
- Which British ocean liner was sunk on 7 May 1915 by a German U-boat 11 miles off the southern coast of Ireland?
- Sidney Street
- Paul Revere
- Alexander the Great (born in Pella in 356 BC)
- Henry Stanley
- Peninsular War
- Claudius Galen
- Phoenix Park, Dublin
- Henry II
- Operation Torch
- Lord Cardigan
- Richard II
- 11 Victoria Crosses, 1870s (1879)
- English Wars of the Roses (March 1461)
- RMS Lusitania
- Henry VIII is buried with which wife?
- Who was monarch before Queen Victoria?
- In which year did the world's population reaches 1 billion: (a) 1604, (b) 1704, (c) 1804, or (d) 1904?
- What was the name of the purchase that saw the USA more than double in size when it bought out France's territorial claims in North America?
- Scottish History: 'The Stone of Destiny' is made of what type of rock?
- On precisely which date did the Victorians celebrate the start of the Twentieth Century?
- In which century was the Black Death?
- What was the official language of England for about 300 years, from 1066 to 1362?
- In World War Two by what name was Iva Toguri better known?
- Which queen was the last Stuart monarch?
- Which Roman Emperor married his sister and made his horse a senator?
- Who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe?
- Which battle famously saw the US flag raised on Mount Suribachi?
- Shakespeare wrote plays in which three broad categories?
- Name the 16th and 17th century French Protestants who followed the teachings of theologian John Calvin?
- William IV
- Jane Seymour
- (c) 1804
- Louisiana Purchase
- (Red) Sandstone
- 1st January, 1901
- Tokyo Rose
- Queen Anne
- Sir Francis Drake
- Iwo Jima
- Comedies, Tragedies and Histories
More related quizzes...
Thank you for printing these history questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.