Iran Quiz I
- Historically, the West referred to Iran by what name?
- Which city is the capital of Iran?
- What is the name of the straight between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman which provides an important sea passage to the open ocean?
- Which branch of the Iranian Armed Forces was founded after the Iranian Revolution?
- In 1979, Islamic clerical leader Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Iran from 14 years of exile in which Western city?
- In terms of land area, Iran is a large country; is it the first, second, third or fourth largest country in the Middle East?
- Is Iraq on Iran's western or eastern border?
- What name was given to the 1943 Word War II meeting of Joseph Stalin, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Winston Churchill, in Iran?
- In which year did a group of students seize the USA Embassy and take 52 hostages?
- Which food is referred to as "Persian Milk", with many Iranians considering it to be a wonder food?
- What in Iran is The Karun-3?
- In December 2013, what sort of animal, named Fargam, did the Iranian space agency send into space 75 miles above the surface of the earth?
- The Strait of Hormuz
- Revolutionary Guards
- Second largest (only Saudi Arabia is larger)
- Western border
- The Tehran Conference
- A (hydroelectric) dam
- A monkey
Iran Quiz II
- Who has been the Supreme Leader of Iran since 1989?
- The official language of Iran is Persian, but by what other name is this also known?
- Who was the founder of the Achaemenid Empire, the first Persian Empire?
- The northern part of Iran is located near the southern shores of which sea?
- Iran fought a devastating war with Iraq for most of which decade?
- Can you name the country's largest desert?
- Mohammad Reza Pahlavi was the last one, but by what title was he better known by the West?
- In the history of the Summer Olympics, Iran has won a total of 43 medals in which sport?
- True or false. In Iran, females over the age of nine must wear a hijab in public?
- Is the population of Iran: (a)32 million, (b)45 million, (c)65 million, or (d)82 million?
- The highest peak in Iran is also the highest volcano in Asia; can you name it?
- Ali Khamenei
- Cyrus the Great
- Caspian Sea
- Kavir Desert
- Shah of Iran
- (d) 82 million
- Mount Damavand
Iran Trivia III
- In 1989, Ayatollah Khomeini issued a religious edict (or fatwa) ordering the death of British author, Salman Rushdie, for which novel?
- True or false. Approximately 70% of Iran’s population is over 40?
- Is Tehran world known for its heart surgery, cosmetic surgery or brain surgery?
- In Iran, what is the minimum age that girls can get married?
- What is the translation and meaning of the name 'Iran' in Persian?
- Which team sport, first played in Persia in the 6th century, is now popular around the world with well over 100 member countries in its international federation?
- The flag of Iran is a tricolour comprising equal horizontal bands of which three colours?
- Which coin (and now Iran's official currency) was first introduced in 1798 as a coin worth 1,250 dinars or one eighth of a toma?
- Which river, with a name that means 'river of the Arabs', constitutes the border between Iraq and Iran as it flows into the Persian Gulf?
- Which word for a permanently enclosed marketplace where goods and services are sold originates from the same Persian word?
- Which American colonel was convicted in the Iran–Contra scandal of the late 1980s, although later had his convictions dismissed?
- The Satanic Verses
- False. (Approximately 70% of Iran’s population is under the age of 30)
- Cosmetic surgery (Tehran is often referred to as "The Nose Job Capital of the World")
- Land of the Aryans
- Green, white and red (Green is the colour of Islam and represents growth, white symbolizes peace and honesty, and red represents bravery and martyrdom.)
- Shatt al-Arab
- Colonel Oliver North
There are more Middle East quiz questions coming soon.
Thank you for printing these Iran questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and trivia.