All the following questions have been 'starter for ten' quiz questions on University Challenge.
- 'In the darkening twilight I saw a lone star hover gem-like above the bay.' This was the last diary entry of which explorer, written on January 5th 1922 at Grytviken in South Georgia?
- Shelly said it's like London, T. S. Elliot says it is oneself and Jean-Paul Sarte says it is other people. What?
- Which city at the mouth of the River Arno in 1564 was the birthplace of Galileo?
- What is a state of animal dormancy, similar to hibernation, that takes place in the summer rather than the winter?
- What did Winston Churchill describe in a 1939 broadcast as "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma"?
- In the late 1930s, the German word meaning aviator defence gun, was abbreviated to what four letter word? Originally referring to anti-aircraft artillery, in English it now means adverse criticism.
- Which country is the location of the highest mountain outside Asia?
- Played by Kate Winslet, the 19th century fossil hunter Mary Anning is the subject of what 2020 film?
- What name is given to the photosensitive layer of the human eye that consists of rods and cones?
- What five-letter adjective is found in all the following: the popular name for Charles I’s parliament of 1640; another term for stenography; and an electrical circuit that acts as a shunt to a circuit of comparatively large resistance?
- Known until 1973 as Fort Lamy, which city is the capital of Chad?
- It's name derived from the Latin for sausage, what severe form of food poisoning affects the central nervous system and is often contracted from spoiled meat?
- Ernest Shackleton
Thank you for printing these questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.