Top 10 Moments in UK History
UK History Quiz
- (a) William The Conqueror defeated which English king at The Battle of Hastings?
(b) In the middle of which month did the 1066 battle take place?
- (a) In which year was the Magna Carta, also known as the 'Great Charter', signed by King John?
(b) How many copies still exist of the Magna Carta?
- (a) In which century did the Black Death arrive in England?
(b) The Peasants' Revolt was a consequence of the Black Death. Which king did the rebels meet?
- (a) William Shakespeare was born and raised in which market town?
(b) What is Shakespeare’s longest play?
- (a) In which year was Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot discovered?
(b) Who was the leader of the group of Catholics who planned the failed plot?
- (a) The Act of Union which joined England and Scotland was passed in which year?
(b) The two countries had shared a monarch since which Scottish king inherited the English throne?
- (a) In which year was the Battle of Waterloo?
(b) Who described the battle as 'a damned close-run thing'?
- (a) In which year did Queen Victoria become queen?
(b) How old was Victoria when she was crowned monarch?
- (a) World War One started when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife were assassinated in which city?
(b) World War One ended with which treaty in 1918?
- (a) World War Two began when Germany invaded which country?
(b) Japan captured which British stronghold on 15 February 1942?
- (a) Harold, (b) October (14 October, 1066)
- (a) 1215, (b) Four (two at the British Library; one each in Salisbury Cathedral and Lincoln Castle)
- (a) 14th century (1346), (b) Richard II
- (a) Stratford-upon-Avon, (b) Hamlet (with 4,042 lines) (The shortest is The Comedy of Errors, with 1,787 lines.)
- (a) 1642, (b) Robert Catesby
- (a) 1707, (b) James I (who was also James VI of Scotland)
- (a) 1815, (b) Duke of Wellington
- (a) 1837, (b) 18 years old
- (a) Sarajevo (capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina), (b) Treaty of Versailles
- (a) Poland, (b) Singapore