Weather Quizzes and Trivia
Weather Quiz Questions and Answers
- The Bayeux Tapestry of the 1070s depicts a man installing a rooster weathervane on which building?
- In meteorology, what 'catch-all' name is given to any product of the condensation of atmospheric water vapor that falls under gravity?
- Name the famous Mediterranean wind that comes from the Sahara region which can reach hurricane speeds in North Africa and Southern Europe?
- If meteorology is the study of short term weather systems lasting up to a few weeks, what is the study of the frequency and trends of those systems?
- In which direction does a katabatic wind blow?
- What name is given for the amount of water vapour present in the air?
- Name the lowest portion of Earth's atmosphere where nearly all weather takes place?
- Which slang term for a tornado is also the title of a 1996 film?
- What name is given to an area of high pressure which brings long periods of settled weather?
- Name the following shipping forcast weather areas: (a)directly south of Ireland, (b)directly norh of Forties, and (c)named after an island in the Bristol Channel?
- Staring with the letter 'v', what in meteorology is an observable shaft of precipitation falling from a cloud that evaporates before reaching the ground?
- What can be classed as columns or dendrites?
- What type of cloud is a dense towering vertical cloud associated with thunderstorms?
- Which BBC weatherman's prediction that the Great Storm of 1987 was a false alarm is celebrated as a classic TV gaffe?
- A hurricane is a tropical storm which exceeds which speed:(a)74 mph, (b)94 mph, or (c)114 mph?
- Westminster Abbey
- Down a slope
- (a)Fastnet, (b)Viking, and (c)Lundy
- Cumulonimbus cloud
- Michael Fish
- 74 mph (a)
Weather Quiz Questions II
- Which common phrase is given to an unseasonably warm period near the middle of autumn?
- What is nephology the study of?
- Who was the UK's longest-serving female weather forecaster, appearing on ITV for 24 years, from 1990 to 2014?
- What number is a violent storm on the Beaufort scale?
- Give the popular nautical term that refers to the belt near the equator where sailing ships sometimes get stuck on windless waters?
- What line on a weather map connects points of the same atmospheric pressure?
- Name the hurricane that was the costliest natural disaster in the history of America?
- A Chinook is a wind particularly associated with which mountain range?
- Which of the following cities gets the most rainfall per year: (a)Tokyo, (b)London, (c)Chicago, or (d)Rome?
- Are stratus clouds low level, medium level, or high level clouds?
- At what temperature are both the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales exactly the same?
- In which month does winter begin in the Southern Hemisphere?
- What does an anemometer measure?
- What term refering to big seasonal winds bringing heavy rainfall was first used in English in British India?
- Which type of electromagnetic radiation from sunlight is a principal source of vitamin D?
- An Indian summer
- Sian Lloyd
- The doldrums
- Hurricane Katrina
- The Rocky Mountains
- Tokyo (a)
- Low level
- Minus 40 degrees
- Wind speed
- Ultraviolet radiation
Thank you for printing these questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.