Welcome to our Word Trivia Page
Back to our Word Quiz page
- In pub culture, what is a 'blue beer token'?
- Which river in Picardy, France, comes from a Celtic word meaning 'tranquility'?
- What does an 'ailurophile' like or love?
- Which animal derives its name from the Greek word that literally means 'shadow tail'?
- What does 'ephemeral' mean?
- Which two word phrase means an appropriate time of day to start to drink wine?
- What recent new word means ‘bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger’?
- What name starting with the letter 'a' is given to the body position in which the hands are on the hips with the elbows bowed outward?
- What name is given to the groove between your nose and middle of the lips?
- If you have 'dysania', what do you find it difficult to do in the mornings?
- On what handyman's tool would you find a part called a 'peen'?
- In the English language, which is the most common letter for a word to start with?
- What is the name given to the white trails seen in the sky behind aircraft exhausts?
- Can you name the only word with five consecutive vowels?
- What term refers to words which make different words when read backwards, e.g. stressed becomes desserts if read backwards?
- A five pound note
- The Somme
- Short lived or for a short time
- Wine o'clock
- Get out of bed
- Hammer (the side opposite the striking side)
- Semordnilap (which is in itself palindromes read backwards)
Word Trivia II
- Which word has been used to refer to a machine since 1869 and to an electronic device since 1946?
- In Arabic, what is the meaning of the word 'Islam'?
- The term 'brogue' generally refers to an accent from which country?
- A small minority of the Isle of Man's population is fluent in which language, important to the island's heritage?
- Which word derived from the Greek words meaning 'equal' and 'letter', means a word with no repeating letters?
- Which constructed language translates as 'one who hopes'?
- Olfaction and macrosmatic are both words relating to what sense?
- What new word means to dance to modern music with thrusting hip movements and in a sexually provocative manner?
- From which language do we get the words 'embarrass' and 'vindaloo'?
- What would you put in a Brannock device?
- What word meaning 'treating serious issues with inappropriate humour' has all 5 vowles in order?
- In Northern Ireland the word 'oxtercog' means picking a person up by which method? And what does Welsh word 'heddlu' mean - often seen out-and-about in Wales?
- Submission or surrender
- Portuguese (yes, vindaloo is originally a Portuguese word)
- Your foot - it's the device used in shoe shops to measure feet sizes
- (a)Picking someone up by the armpits, and (b)police
More word related stuff...
> Amazing Fun Word Facts
> Anagram Quizzes
> Phobias List
Thank you for printing these word quiz questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.