Welcome to our World War II Quizzes Page
World War II Quiz Questions and Answers
- What was the name of the main site for British codebreakers during World War II? And which TWO German cipher machines were the most important to have their codes broken?
- The Enola Gay was the name of the B-29 bomber that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, but what was the name given to the aircraft that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki 3 days later?
- Which battle of World War II remains the largest armoured battle of all time?
- Can you give the month and the year of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?
- What event is often called the September Campaign?
- In 1942, which country was awarded the George Cross by the United Kingdom for its peoples' endurance and bravery?
- Can you name the Emperor that led Japan during World War Two?
- Who invented the bouncing bomb? And what was the name of the operation to breach The Mohne and Edersee Dams using them?
- How many Japanese aircraft carriers were sunk at the Battle of Midway?
- Which major battle of World War II lasted from August 1942 to February 1943?
- Who was appointed commander-in-chief of the German airforce (Luftwaffe) in 1935? And what did he also infamously create in 1933?
- Which British special operations units created by Orde Charles Wingateknown were officially known as the Long Range Penetration Groups?
- Which WWII general was also selected as the U.S. Army's entry for the first modern pentathlon at the 1912 Olympic Games?
- With the largest surrender of British-led military personnel in history, what did Winston Churchill call the "worst disaster" in British military history?
- Bletchley Park. Enigma, and Lorenz.
- Bock's Car
- Battle of Kursk
- December (7), 1941
- German invasion of Poland
- Emperor Hirohito
- Barnes Wallis. Operation Chastise (subsequently publicised as the 'Dam Busters' which is not the correct answer for this question)
- Four (the Americans lost one carrier)
- The Battle of Stalingrad
- Hermann Goring. Founded the Gestapo in 1933 (he later gave command of it to Heinrich Himmler).
- George S. Patton
- The Fall of Singapore
- Who was the new commander of British Bomber Command in 1942? And which German city was the first to suffer at the hands of his ‘Thousand Plan’ - a plan to bomb cities with over one thousand Allied bombers?
- Which US general vowed “I shall return” after he and his forces were driven out of the Philippines by the victorious Japanese in 1942?
- The Battle of the Bulge, the last major German offensive in the west, was launched through which dense forest region?
- Which British single-seat RAF fighter aircraftcraft accounted for 60 percent of the RAF air victories in the Battle of Britain?
- From 1939 to 1940, what was the BEF?
- The pocket battle ship Admiral Graf Spee was forced to put into which port after being damaged by British ships?
- Name the Group Captain and winner of the Victoria Cross who founded a well known charity bearing his name that supports disabled people?
- The official Japanese surrender, on 2 September 1945, took place aboard which US battleship?
- What was the code name for Germany's invasion of the Soviet Union during World War II?
- Which German soldier was popularly known as the Desert Fox?
- In which year did Churchill become Prime Minister? And what was Churchill's offical government role and title before becoming Prime Minister?
- Which French World War One hero lead the puppet French Vichy government?
- What was code-named Operation Dynamo?
- On 9 July 1943, the Allieds started the invasion of which island in Operation Husky?
- (Air Marshall Arthur) ‘Bomber’ Harris. Cologne.
- Douglas MacArthur
- The Hawker Hurricane (even though the Spitfire was perceived by the public to be the main RAF fighter and had a higher victory-to-loss ratio)
- The British Expeditionary Force (the British Army in Western Europe)
- Leonard Cheshire
- USS Missouri
- Operation Barbarossa
- Erwin Rommel
- 1940 (10 May - the same day Germany invaded France, Holland and Belgium). First Lord of the Admiralty.
- Marshall Petain
- The Dunkirk evacuation
More history and war quizzes...
> History Quiz Questions
> World War I Quiz
Thank you for printing this WWII quiz. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.