Welcome to our Astronomy Quiz Page
Astronomy Quiz Questions and Answers
- Ariel, Umbriel, Miranda, Titania and Oberon are all moons of which planet?
- Which is the largest planet in the Solar system?
- What is the brightest object in the night sky?
- The Sun being the centre of the Solar System was first proposed by which astronomer?
- Vesta is the third largest what?
- Which present day country was the launch site for manned Soviet Union space flights?
- Which planet did space probe Mariner 9 visit in 1971?
- Name the Russian space station that operated in low Earth orbit from 1986 to 2001?
- Name the comet that completes an orbit of the Sun once every three years — the shortest period of any known comet?
- Which planet is nearest the earth: Mars or Venus?
- Name the nearest known star to the Sun?
- Which rare astronomical event occurs when a high-mass star reaches the end of its life?
- The Shoemaker-Levy 9 comet smashed into which planet in July 1994?
- Name the brightest star in the constellation Ursa Minor?
- Which astronomer is best known for his laws of planetary motion?
- In 1610, who discovered the four largest moons of Jupiter using a telescope?
- The Sun is composed primarily of which chemical element?
- Which astronomer proposed an equation to work out how many civilizations there could be in our galaxy?
- Name the galaxy that contains the Solar System?
- What unit of length is equal to about 3.26 light-years?
- Encke's Comet
- Proxima Centauri
- A supernova
- Polaris (also known as the Pole Star or North Star)
- Johannes Kepler
- Galileo Galilei
- Frank Drake
- The Milky Way
- A parsec
> Space Quiz
> Solar System Quiz
Thank you for printing these astronomy questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.