Materials Quizzes and Answers
Material Quiz I
- What is the best known brand name of all the polytetrafluoroethylene based products?
- Invented in New York in 1907, what was the name of the world's first fully synthetic plastic?
- Which high-quality type of wool yarn derives its name from a village in Norfolk?
- Cashmere is a luxury fiber obtained from which sort of animal?
- Ninety percent of Europe's natural roofing slate comes from which country?
- The Stone of Scone, used for centuries in the coronation of the monarchs of Scotland, is an oblong block of what type of rock?
- Which waterproof fabric, composed of an outer layer of nylon and an inner layer of wool with air between them, was invented in 1951 by British inventor Joseph Kagan?
- What name is lycra better known by in North America?
- What are the two main metals used to make the alloy bronze?
- What was originally developed in London in 1748 by Thomas Frye in order to compete with imported porcelain?
- Which famous sculpture was the first in the world to be cast in aluminium?
- Which British city's nickname is the Granite City, with its buildings incorporating locally quarried grey granite?
- Goats (cashmere goats)
- Sandstone (red sandstone)
- Spandex (which is an anagram of 'expands')
- Copper and tin
- Bone china
- The Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain or Eros (commonly known, though mistakenly, as Eros)
Material Quiz II
- Which chemical element increases stainless steels corrosion resistance?
- What name is given to the process of applying heat to ore in order to melt out a base metal?
- Name the self-taught American chemist who developed vulcanized rubber?
- What brand name was given in 1908 for borosilicate glass?
- What was invented by Swiss chemist Jacques Brandenberger in trying to create a cloth that could repel liquids rather than absorb them after being inspired by seeing wine spilt on a restaurant's tablecloth in 1900?
- The name of which material is translated from the Italian for "baked earth"?
- Quarried on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, what type of rock is Portland stone?
- During the 19th-century, which British city was a key centre of the copper industry, earning it the nickname Copperopolis?
- Name the the first inexpensive industrial process for the mass production of steel from molten pig iron (it takes its name of from the inventor who took out a patent on the process in 1856)?
- Which building material and word meaning mudbrick in Spanish, is also the name of the computer software company started in John Warnock's garage in 1982?
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa is constructed of which material?
- Which woven fabric, usually made from skin of the jute plant, is sometimes known as burlap?
- What is the name of the species of European mountain goat Rupicapra rupicapra, that gives its name to a type of porous leather?
- Which blend of wool and cotton, first woven in England in 1893, became the "first branded fabric in the world"?
- Which invention by chemist Stephanie Kwolek, has by weight, five times the tensile strength of steel and is associated with the manufacture of bullet proof vests?
- Charles Goodyear
- Bessemer process
> Chemistry Quiz
> Science Quiz
Thank you for printing these 2017 quiz questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.