What is the New Year Quiz?
Our New Year Quiz tests your knowledge about New Year's Day and New Year's Eve traditions and celebrations. A great way to start January 1st.
New Year Quiz I
- What word do the Scottish people give for the last day of the year and its celebration?
- What day of the week was New Year's Day, 2019?
- In which European country is it a tradition to jump from a chair right before midnight and also smash plates against friends' doors?
- On New Year's Day 1993, which former country effectively split into two?
- Is the Chinese New Year commonly referred to as the Winter, Spring, Summer, or Autumn Festival?
- Who was found hanged in Winson Green prison near Birmingham on New Year's Day, 1995?
- What name was given to the predicted computer meltdown at the beginning of the year 2000?
- Can you name the President of Cuba who fled the country on January 1st, 1959, with the advance of a rebel army led by Fidel Castro?
- Nicknamed 'the Granddaddy of Them All', which annual American college football bowl game is usually played on January the 1st?
- On January 1st 1881, Ferdinand de Lesseps began French construction on which great civil engineering project?
- 'The ball drop' is a famous part of the New Year's Eve celebration in which touristy part of New York City?
- Which English author, born on New Year's Day 1879, wrote A Passage to India?
- Who wrote the song ‘Auld Lang Syne’?
- In 2021, Chinese New Year will be the year of which animal?
- Spring Festival
- Fred West
- Millennium Bug
- (Fulgencio) Batista
- The Rose Bowl
- The Panama Canal
- Times Square
- E.M. Forster
- Robert Burns
- Year of the Ox
New Year Trivia II
- Is American Samoa in the South Pacific Ocean the first or last place to see in the new year?
- Literally meaning the 'beginning of the year', what name is given to the Jewish New Year?
- Which sovereign state became independent of the United Kingdom on New Year's Day 1984?
- In Scotland, 'first-footing' is a tradition which involves visiting homes with a gift of whisky and which other item?
- Who won a Golden Raspberry Award for worst actress in her 2012 film New Year's Eve?
- The village of Allendale, famous for its New Year fire festival, is in which English county?
- New Year's Eve is also known by which Saint's Day in many countries: (a)Saint Sylvester, (b)Saint Theobald, or (c)Saint Felix?
- On January 1st, 1899, Spanish rule ended in which country?
- 'New Year' is a song by which British girl pop group - it was released as the second single from their debut studio album 'One Touch'?
- In which English county is it an old tradition to say 'black rabbits, black rabbits, black rabbits' just as the clock is about to strike midnight on New Year’s Eve?
- The month of January is named after which Roman god of doorways?
- Songkran, often celebrated by water fights, is the New Year's festival in which Asian country?
- Rosh Hashanah
- A lump of coal
- Sarah Jessica Parker