Russia Quizzes and Answers
Russia Quiz Questions
- Which colour is the top colour of the Russian tricolour flag?
- Who became General Secretary of the Communist Party after the 18-year rule of Leonid Brezhnev ended?
- Can you name Russia's largest island?
- Name the Russian mystic and holy man who had great influence in late imperial Russia?
- The Kate Bush song title 'Babooshka' is taken fron a Russian word, what does Babushka mean in English?
- In which year was the dissolution of the Soviet Union?
- Which Russian freshwater lake is the largest in the world?
- The name of which Russian newspaper translates as 'truth'?
- Which river is widely regarded as the national river of Russia? And can you name Russia's highest mountain?
- What name is given to a resident of Moscow?
- Which Russian stringed musical instrument has three strings and a characteristic triangular wooden, hollow body?
- Which Russian play centres around the visit of an elderly professor and his much younger glamorous second wife?
- Name the Russian exclave between Lithuania and Poland on the Baltic Sea?
- Which mountain range runs from north to south through western Russia?
- In 1836, which composer composed the first known opera made in Russia, 'A Life for the Tsar'?
- White (the flag consists of three equal horizontal fields: top white, middle blue, and red on the bottom)
- Yuriy Andropov
- Lake Baikal (contains more water than the North American Great Lakes combined)
- Volga. Mount Elbrus (which is the highest mountain in Europe).
- A Muscovite
- Balalaika (it features prominently in the score and the plot of the film Doctor Zhivago)
- Uncle Vanya (by Anton Checkhov)
- The Urals
- Mikhail Glinka
Did you know that the Trans-Siberian Railway is the longest railway line in the world (5,772 miles). It has connected Moscow to Vladivostok since 1916.
Russia Quiz Questions
- Which Russian word describing an assembly with legislative functions means 'to think'?
- Which country declared independence from Russia on 6 December 1917?
- Which Russian prima ballerina was the principal artist of the Imperial Russian Ballet in the late 19th and the early 20th centuries?
- What is the Central Park of Culture and Leisure in Moscow normally known as?
- Who was the last Emperor of Russia?
- Which Russian word means 'fortress inside a city'?
- Can you name the first artificial Earth satellite launched into a low Earth orbit in October 1957?
- One of the largest museums in the world is in Saint Petersburg, what is it called?
- Which Russian tennis player won Wimbledon in 2004?
- Which city is the largest Russian port on the Pacific Ocean?
- Who became the tenth Prime Minister of Russia in 2012?
- Who led the Bolshevik party in the October Revolution? And what does the word Bolshevik mean?
- Which river flows through Saint Petersburg?
- In the former Soviet Union what was GUM?
- Who was the first Russian to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature?
- Which political movement for reformation within the Communist Party in the 1980s featured glasnost policy reform?
- Anna Pavlova
- Gorky Park
- Nicholas II
- Sputnik 1
- The Hermitage
- Maria Sharapova
- Dmitry Medvedev
- Vladimir Lenin. The word Bolshevik means 'one of the majority'.
- The Neva
- The main state department stores in many cities
- Ivan Bunin
Related Russia links...
Thank you for printing these questions. Please do not forget to come back to www.freepubquiz.co.uk for more great quiz questions and answers.